We have a 2 year old!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

My Fertility/Ovulation Chart

Monday, April 2, 2012

Sleep? What's Sleep?!

Well, maybe not that dramatic, but Cael's nighttime sleep stretches are slowly whittling away. He's up at least twice a night, crying. Sometimes it only takes me minutes to put him back to sleep, other times, it may be an hour and a half before he goes back to sleep. I don't know what happened. But it sucks, that's for sure! For instance, last night he was up at 12:30 and 3 am. He went to sleep within 10 minutes of being awake at 12:30. However, 3am was a different story! He was screaming and crying and fussing. I'd calm him down for a few minutes, then he'll start crying again. This cycle continued for about an hour. I gave him Tylenol, which didn't really help. He did fall back to sleep for about 10 minutes, in which I crawled into bed, thinking all was good. Nope, 10 minutes later he was awake crying again, and I was up out of bed. Again. I tried comforting and consoling him. I left him to cry for a few minutes. It was actually horrible. Four o'clock came around, and by this time, he was trying to latch onto my shoulder again. He was making the rooting motion with his mouth/head, and would keep screaming when I tried to give him the pacifier. Finally and reluctantly, I gave in and fed him. I just stayed in the nursery holding him, and fed him that way.

After 5 minutes, I stopped, gave him the pacifier, and held him until he burped. He seemed very calm and went limp after a minute. I figured he was asleep, or well on his way, so I laid him down in the crib, and went back to bed myself. It was 10 after 4. Well, 5 minutes later, just as I was starting to doze off, he woke up and started crying again. I went back to trying to comfort him, but he wasn't having it. He seemed to still be hungry, so I gave him the other breast for another 5 minutes. He was much more limp and relaxed after this feeding, and fortunately, he fell right to sleep. And stayed asleep. He was then up at 6:40 to eat again, and up for the day at 7. It was a long night.

The 2-3-4 nap schedule has been working out great during the day. And when we first started the new schedule, his stretches at night got longer. But now they're getting shorter again. I don't know what's going on. It seemed so perfect at first, but now it's getting worse. I guess we'll just have to keep trying, and stick to our guns about not feeding him during the night. Hopefully he'll get the idea that he's not getting food, and he'll either stay asleep, or put himself to sleep as soon as he wakes during the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment