We have a 2 year old!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

My Fertility/Ovulation Chart

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Boo-Boo's, Bumps & Bruises

We're getting to the stage in Cael's development where he's going to start falling over a lot more, and getting hurt. It breaks my heart to think this. But with all the crawling, pulling up, reaching for things and taking steps, I guess it's inevitable. So far, he's had only 3 incidents that really stand out in my mind. The first was when he was standing in his crib, and must have let go, and he fell straight back, smacking his head directly on the back crib rail. He immediately screamed. It probably scared him more than anything, but I'm sure it couldn't have felt good. He needs to learn to fall butt-first, so that he braces himself better. The second is when he was standing at his new toy table, lost his balance, and toppled sideways. It wouldn't have been so bad, but instead of just landing on the ground, the side of his head landed on, and scraped along the plastic leg of the toy, leaving an abrasion. It didn't bleed, but immediately left a welt. It eventually turned into a bruise a couple of days later. His first of many, I'm sure.

The third incident happened today, which prompted me to write this post, because the sound is still in my head. He was standing at the couch (at my moms), and he lost his balance, and fell directly down. He smashed his head on the hardwood (I actually believe it's Pergo) floors with full force. The sound it made was horrible, like a solid hitting a solid, but at the same time, with the sound of his brain in there. It's hard to describe, but it was bad. My mom said that the floor isn't that hard, because it's not cement under the floor, but a type of wood sub-floor, so it does give, but still. He instantly started crying, and it took him a few minutes to calm down. I screamed for my mom when it happened because I got scared. She ran in, and immediately swooped him from my arms and held him. I grabbed his ice pack, but it kind of upset me, because I should have been the one comforting him, and checking his head. I told my mom, kind of joking, "I can't believe you just came and took him from me!" She apologized, and said it was just instinct to grab him. I guess I understand that, because she has 4 kids, and I guess instinct would just take over. But she also admitted that she wanted the cuddles from him. He's still warming up to her, but he just wanted to be comforted, so he nestled into her. I'm not mad about it, and I'm sure if/when it happens again here, she won't do that. I was really upset over his fall though, and I really wanted to cry. I can't imagine when something happens to him when he starts bleeding. I'll probably be a mess. I think I'll construct a bubble to put him in.

No comments:

Post a Comment