We have a 2 year old!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

My Fertility/Ovulation Chart

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Hand, Foot & Mouth Disease

After Cael started running a fever today, I'm convinced he's been infected with Hand, Foot & Mouth Disease (aka Coxsackie). While we were camping, the little girl that Cael was playing with, came down with a low-grade fever. My friend said that she's teething and getting her molars, so we both assumed that the fever was from teething. She wasn't really acting any differently, so we figured no big deal.

They mostly played together at the water table that I brought with us. She was chewing on his water toys, but I didn't mind, because I knew she was teething. Well, my mom texted me yesterday to tell me that she has HFMD. I was livid, and immediately looked it up, as I don't really know much about it. I do know, however, that I had it was I was 3 while in Florida, and I had to be hospitalized for a few days. So I got really upset and scared that Cael was exposed to it.

The CDC website said that it's moderately contagious through nasal and mouth/throat mucus and fluids. Wonderful. She was chewing on his toys. Toys that he then played with. I guess the virus stays alive in water and sunlight. The website also says that symptoms can start 3-6 days after exposure, and that it's most contagious during the first week of having it. It's been 4-5 days since he was was initially exposed, and he's started with a fever. After talking to some ladies in my online group whose babies have had HFMD, the blisters and sores on the hands, feet and mouth started after the fever broke. So for right now, it's a wait and see game.

Cael's fever earlier today was on the lower side at 100.9. But this evening, it rose to 103.2 after having Tylenol in him for 2 hours. Currently, I'm watching him toss and turn on the monitor, as if he's uncomfortable. He's been whimpering in his sleep since he went to bed 2 hours ago, and it breaks my heart. I hate seeing my Little Man sick and uncomfortable. I'll update if he starts getting blisters and sores.

No comments:

Post a Comment