We have a 2 year old!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

My Fertility/Ovulation Chart

Saturday, June 9, 2012

9 Month Appointment

Being out of the house for 4 hours in the morning
was just too much. He passed out in Wegman's
Yesterday, Cael had his 9 month well visit. I can't believe he's 9 months old already! Honestly, where has the time flown to?? This appointment was with a new doctor, and although Matt and I have been going to him for the past 6 years, and he's a wonderful doctor, I was still leery. For what reason, I have no clue. As it turns out, he's wonderful (as I should have expected), and Cael didn't cry once - even when he was having his private parts poked and prodded. He'd always cry with the other doctor when he was examined.

He didn't need any shots today, which I was happy about. So it was a fairly simple, and quick appointment. He weighs 18 pounds 11 ounces and is 27.5 inches long! The doctor couldn't give me the percentages, but according to my phone app, they're in the 10-25% range. I just found a calculator online (http://www.infantchart.com/), and for weight, he's in the 20th %, and height the 23rd %. Still a peanut, but a consistent peanut. I'm so happy that he's been consistently growing despite the tons of moving around he's doing! He's just perfect.

Yay for having a real lunch for the first time!
Steamed apples and carrots!
I had a few questions regarding his sleeping issues for the past 4 nights, and whether he had another ear infection. Fortunately, his ears looked good. After explaining his normal bed time routine, and how he was waking a few times during the night for the past 4 nights (where only nursing would put him back to sleep), he concluded that he's in a growth spurt. Wonderful! However, it does make sense, because he has seemed way more hungry during the day (we went from 2 cubes to 4 cubes for breakfast within a week!). He suggested feeding him more solids during the day, including giving him lunch, and continuing to let him nurse when he wants, which is still around every 3 hours. Of course, I was concerned that letting him nurse at night would get him into the habit of waking every night, and undoing what we started at 6 months old, but last night he was back to normal. Yesterday, he had lunch, and a big dinner, and was asleep by 8:15. He slept until 4 am this morning, nursed, and then went back to sleep until 6:30. I hope it's not just a coincidence, and that feeding him more yesterday is what he needed.

We also started a multivitamin with fluoride in it, for Cael's teeth. Cael's cousin has been taking fluoride for a while now, so I figured I'd ask about it. I didn't know they had it combined with the multivitamin, so that makes it much easier! He's only got 2 & 1/4 teeth (counting the incisor that's starting to come through), but since we have well-water, I'm glad I asked about the fluoride. I want him to have nice, strong teeth like his mommy, so it's best we get a head start on it.

Doing really well with the big-boy cup
The doctor decided that we won't get the 9-12 month blood work to check his iron and lead levels. Because the house we live in is only about 10 years old, he's at a reduced risk for lead poisoning. And I guess he's not too concerned about his iron levels, since he's been getting a multivitamin since he was about 3 months old. I know most babies get the blood work done, so I hope it's not a big deal that we don't. So overall, it was a great appointment. We got back on September 10th for his BIG appointment - 1 year well visit with shots! It's going by so fast!

Speaking of being 1 year, I'm finally coming to terms with the idea that my baby is going to be a year old in 3 months, and realized that it's really right around the corner. I haven't done anything yet for his party, not even picking a date. I think Matt and I decided that we'll have 2 parties for Cael - one here in PA, and one on Long Island for my family, some of Matt's family, and our friends. I feel like it's "tacky" - for lack of a better word - but since we're stretched so far from family and friends, I want everyone to be able to join in on the celebration of Cael's first birthday.

 So I took the first step today in party planning - I picked a date, and booked a place to have his PA party. It literally only took 10 minutes, fortunately. There's only so many Saturday's around September 4th, and I knew where I wanted to have the party. It's going to be at a local township park, that rents out pavilions for the day for only $75. There's a playground near by, and the pavilion has electricity and a refrigerator. And we have it all day, from 8am to dusk. It should be fun! Now, I just have to figure out everything else! A theme, picking and mailing invitations, decorations, food, getting CAKES, favors. Jeez! But it will be a blast, and the more I think about it, the more excited I get. I should have bought the "It's My 1st Birthday" onesie I saw at BRU yesterday, but I decided against it because I was naive, and thought I had a ton of time left. Uh yea, reality check - I have 3 months! I have a feeling the next 3 months are going to fly by.

No comments:

Post a Comment